Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Job Search

Man... the last post sure was an act of sheer frustration. It helped though. The last two months have not been very eventful, considering the fact that I graduated, and, I got to meet with my parents (only for a short time). Everyday is the same, the weather here makes one feel lethargic, sapped of energy. Though I do have a part time job, one activity takes up most of my time these days, leaving me irritated and frustrated: JOB SEARCH. Every night, after I do these job applications, I ask myself the same set of questions; Is this all going to pay off (soon)? Is it really worth all this effort? Will the hiring managers have a different story to tell, like ever?? On the contrary, I wake up each morning with the same hope of reading an email in my inbox, asking me to attend an interview, but, in vain. In these troubling times, I can only say that its easier to seek and find God Almighty, but not a job.

The job search period gives you an opportunity to unravel different emotional persona of yourself, thanks to the circumstances and people around you. Your feelings are filled with intrigue, jealousy, anger, sympathy (sometimes false), sarcasm, sadness, et al. Parents have just one question "What are you upto and what are your plans?" It gets extremely frustrating to answer the same questions on an everyday basis (I do understand their concern). With friends, its always about who is ahead in the race and most often the question would be "How did he/she get a job/internship? He/She has the IQ of a peanut!" and so on. But, seriously, more and more "deserving" people, around me are finding jobs (Congratulations!), which makes me doubt my skills. Albeit the intelligence and skills, it is very important to be in the right place, at the right time.

Companies, especially in my sector have gone on a recruitment freeze and I don't see a sign of recovery, atleast in the present financial year. Even though the companies do not have projects, or are working on existing projects, they do attend job fairs, just to show their presence and that they are "weathering the storm". Most personnel representing the companies at the respective stalls, as I have observed, have an interesting ploy. Consider two people, one seeking an internship, and the other, a full time position. The first person will be told, in a blunt, but professional way, that the company is not looking to bring on any interns during this quarter. The second person would be told the exact opposite! Isn't this downright uncouth? Just give us the real story people, we are ready to listen to it, bravely. I have also attended three "interviews" after which, the interviewer doesn't call back at all! I just don't get it.... but still, I continue to post resumes, talk to companies, with the hope that someday, that magic call/email will come my way (wishful thinking)!



No comments: